Hello All, It's been quite a while since I last posted. Sorry about that but the time does fly when you're having fun! I've been doing the regular winter stuff - skiing, snowshoeing and now XC skiing, too, as you'll see.
In between all that there is always Search & Rescue stuff, mostly training lately, thank goodness. Our group has decided to go for the Mountain Rescue Association certification which is very strict in its standards and involves increased training and field tests. We're fortunate in that we have had some great new folks join our team so we're working hard to get everyone up to speed.
Peg has been keeping busy with her jewelry creations as well as a renewed effort with her gourd art. Our weather has been so mild lately that she can work in the garage with her tools without freezing. She's been making good use of her time as you will soon see. Her jewelry is selling very well at the Artisan's Co-op, no surprise to any of us, eh? The Co-op continues to grow with new artisan's bringing in creative and interesting pieces from jewelry and paintings, to Native American flutes, to homespun wool items. It's really quite a nice selection to browse through.
Below are a few photos reminiscent of our winter activities. I hope you enjoy. And let us hear from you sometime.
This is Peg's latest creation in gourd art. She is quite proud of it. She uses her electric dremel tool to carve away the gourd which it leaves it lighter and the elk in dark relief. She has used leather and coral to decorate the top. She just keeps finding more ways to create art.
This is the view looking across the "Rock Garden" from the top of the Raven Lift at Wolf Creek Ski Area. There were quite a few folks stopped here to take in the view.
Christmas in Wichita Falls
Clayton in his longhorn long undies and Landon, a bit more dressed for the day.
I know this pic is a little blurry but I had to get Tom on there with his antlers.
Bonnie, the Christmas dog. She's 18 years old now and doing great. A bit slower, a little hard of hearing, can't see as well, and very hard headed. Oh, did I mention spoiled?
Doug & Laura drove up to Wichita Falls to spend Christmas Eve. Unfortunately, we were all so involved in visiting and catching up that none of us took photos. Sorry, guys. We'll do better next time! Wade came up later since he was working on Christmas. I had a photo but I can't seem to locate it now.
This is during a snowshoe outing up near the Lobo Overlook across from the ski area. As you can see, there is plenty of snow up there and the trees were absolutely covered. It was a muffled sort of quiet up there (about 11,000 ft.). And, I HAVE to say that I am not that chubby. I have my pants unsnapped AND unzipped down the sides cuz I was so hot from the earlier uphill climb.
This image is a common site on the day of our first XC ski clinic. Getting up is the most difficult part especially when your skis are buried under the snow. I'm proud to say that I am now rather expert at getting up. Plenty of practice!
Friend Shirley and I are taking a little break during an earlier snowshoe outing. We know how to enjoy the day!
January 18 was my first ever in the history of me Cross Country Ski race. If you're interested you can see info. at www.chamaski.com/raceresults/raceresults.html. I say proudly that I came in 4th in my age division. Never mind that I was 9 minutes slower than 3rd place! That's not important! Now I know what I have to do next year to get in the placings - knock off 3 minutes per kilometer. Frankly, I'm not sure that's possible but I'll give it a go.
Well, I won't bore you with more photos of me having fun. We both have some things planned for February that might render some interesting things to look at or hear about. Stay tuned.
