Every year Pagosa has a ColorFest celebration that includes the balloons, FolkFest music, arts in the parks, etc. It was a lovely day for it.
ColorFest Balloon FlightI'd love to take credit for this photo but, alas, I think I was just getting up about this time!
I snagged this beauty from the local on-line newspaper.
*****************************************
Wade made a quick visit to Pagosa in September. He brought his Enduro cycle and toodled on the forest roads a bit.
The outdoor club was having a Chama-Toltec train ride outing during his visit so he joined in for the adventure.
Almost the entire car was taken by our outdoor club. Wade and I on the left. It would appear that we are enjoying one another's company. Who knows what devious plot we were planning.*****************************************
(I'm showing my age with that one, no doubt.)
******************************************
October 25th we headed for Zion National Park to meet up with some other folks from the outdoor club. We all stayed in the RV park in Springdale just outside the Zion Park entrance.
Part of our hiking group. We hiked about 4 miles up the river through fantastic canyons that narrowed and widened as we twisted and turned along its path. Quite a unique experience.The water depth varied from lower-calf to mid-thigh high. The mid-thigh high is when I learned that my so-called dry pants weren't quite as dry as originally intended. I had a couple of pin holes somewhere around knee high and ended up with about a quart of water collecting in my pant leg. I made quite a lovely sloshing sound once we came out of the river until I could sit down, remove my shoe and open up the rubber cuff to release the water.
This was taken in Echo Canyon. The color variations were amazing as the sun rose to allow more and more light in.
Check out this incredible photo. The light is amazing inside Hidden Canyon. It was quite a climb to get to this canyon. We switchbacked up about a mile then walked along narrow ledges with chains to hold for safety. It was certainly worth it as you can see. Friend David took this of his wife, Shirley, and me walking ahead.
This was taken under an arch in the canyon wall.Once we left Zion after 5 days of adventuring there, we made a quick trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon but it was too hazy to see much so we decided to returned to Page, AZ which is quite a unique and lovely place. It is set on the Colorado River as it comes out of Lake Powell at the Canyonlands National Recreation Area. We attended a hot air balloon regatta there and then visited Antelope Canyon.
****************************************
The local weather guy here (link in sidebar) has an annual contest to see who can guess when we'll receive the first inch of snow. I sent in my guess for November 16th.
The local weather guy here (link in sidebar) has an annual contest to see who can guess when we'll receive the first inch of snow. I sent in my guess for November 16th.
*******************************************
Life in Search & Rescue continues with some actual rescues and some trainings like the one below.

We are practicing on a steep slope along the highway. It drops about 250 feet down to the river. This area is a possible car slide-off area in the winter. We want to be ready to go down and get them should that occur.
My back had been bothering me so I'm serving as Safety Officer here (on left). I inspect the rope set-ups, knots, carabiners, etc. to be sure everything is done properly. I later got to act as the subject and be packaged in the litter and carried around about 5 hunky men. Not bad duty, that!
Glad I inspected those knots!
****************************************
That's all I have for now. We're ready for snow and winter sports, etc. I now have cross country skis and boots, downhill skis and boots, snowshoes, and a -10 degree sleeping bag. There's nothing I can't do this winter! Well, there's lots I can't do but I'm gonna learn!!
Peg is busy at the Artisan's Co-op. They're having a big do the Friday after Thanksgiving and a Chamber of Commerce Grand Opening December 5th. I'm adding the link for their site on the sidebar so check it out. Click on the "Featured Artist" link (the one in the little square with artwork) and see who the Featured Artist is right now!
We're wishing everyone a lovely Thanksgiving holiday. Be safe, warm, and full!
Gobble Gobble