September 20, 2008

August & September

Catching up with y'all once again. We've had beautiful weather with the exception of a few days, primarily the days I was backpacking with friends. Mom has been busy with the Artisans' Co-op. This weekend is ColorFest in town and also Open House for the Co-op so preparations have been in full swing.


We have had a few missions this summer. The most interesting one so far was at Piedra Falls. You're supposed to view the Falls from below. Apparently, Caleb thought it would be cool to have his photo taken above the Falls. As this is one of the more dangerous areas to climb around given the rock crumbles from underneath you, his choice resulted in his being stuck about 150 feet above.

Circle is drawn around him where he is plastered to the side of the cliff above the worst of the falls. He was there for about 13 hours before one of the technical ropes team could be lowered to pick him off. Not sure getting a photo was worth all that but. . .

***********************************************

Photo sent to me by one of my SAR friends who has a ranch south of town. This little guy was checking out what was on the buffet for the day.

****************************************************

The Pagosa Artisans' Co-op opened in July and grown steadily with additional artists and artisans, Peg being on of them. She's having good sales of her jewelry and continues to create, sometimes at very odd times of the morning.

In front of the Co-op posing with the new sign.

Beside her jewelry display

Ready to take your money!

******************************************************

Four of my outdoor club gal pals and I went on a backpack to Crater Lake. None of us had been there so it was an exploratory outing. I had not backpacked with three of the four so I wasn't sure how it would go.

Carolle, Jan, Joan, Donna, & me ready to hit the trail.

As you can see, I am the leader of this pack! hehe.

The lake was an opaque blue green filled with some large fish. It is a beautiful setting.

************************************************

USJSAR had a weekend training in August. We practiced ascending ropes then rappelling down. We camped overnight with our minimal 24 hour gear so the weather accommodated us with some challenging rain, hail, and wind. Always good to get the full weather buffet when roughing it. Mother Nature does have a wicked sense of humor sometimes.

This is me ascending the rope. It's difficult to see but trust me when I say that the ropes and ascender gear do most of the work.

I've switched over the equipment and am now beginning to rappel down.

Me rappelling. It is great fun once you're confident the gear is going to hold.

******************************************************

The Pagosa Peak Gang

One of the vistas along the trail.

I was Leader for an outdoor club hike to the top of Pagosa Peak (12,556 ft. elevation)
I use the term Leader loosely since I wasn't sure exactly where the trailhead was or the best route to the top or how long it would take us or, truthfully, why the dickens I was doing this! But we had perfect weather and everyone made it up and down just fine.
If you're interested in more vista pics and description, go to the SJOC link in the sidebar and look at the September 1 newsletter.

A couple of Texas fellas that were having a tough time.

***************************************************
Peg baking. Not taking any chance of overcooking this time!

****************************************************

We had a little day outing to Chimney Rock Archeological Area. Here Mom is listening to the leader describe the kiva and likely reasons for the people abandoning this area.


**************************************************

I mentioned that I learned how to ascend and rappel. Well, I wanted to set up a rope in the back yard so I could practice. I thought I had it all figured out. The hard part is managing to get my weight off the ascending gear so I can switch over. Without a ledge to sit on, it's a bit tricky.

Ascending the rope up the tree.

We had an outdoor club meeting that night and I was running out of time to get out of that dang tree! I had to holler for Mom to call SAR friend, Terry, so he could come help me get down. OOOOH, Nooooo, THAT wasn't embarrassing. We managed it though and got to the meeting in the nick of time. And don't think I didn't hear about that for a while!

************************************************
I went with friends on a rafting trip down the Rio Chama. It was pretty mild and a good time was had by all.


Me and Marsha at the front of the raft. We got a little wet. It felt pretty good, actually.

**************************************************

I led another backpack this month with three friends. We got rain and hailed out of our original plan but regrouped and hiked to Duck Lake (behind us).


This is what the back yard looks like when I have to dry out gear after a rainy pack trip.

***********************************************

That's it for now. Hope all is well with everyone out there. Let us hear from you when you can. Remember that you're always welcome to visit.